Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hollywood Is Fucking with My Childhood

I don't know about you, but I have fond childhood memories of the following:
  • Transformers
  • GI Joe
  • Street Fighter
  • Speed Racer
  • Dragon Ball
Today, all of the above share a new trait - Hollywood has fucked them all up! Is Hollywood so devoid of talent, that they have to raid my childhood memories only to serve up crap where I actually LONG to see the 'brillance' of 70's and 80's cartoons?

When did Hollywood get into the business of selling manure? How else can one explain the crap coming out? My major gripes:
  • Transformers - Bumble Bee is supposed to transform into a VW Beetle (not a Camaro), Megatron is supposed to transform into a Walther P38, and Shia LaBeouf (or is it LeDouche?) is the lead actor. Enough said.



  • GI Joe - when did Storm Shadow start dressing like he was going clubbing? The Joes are soldiers doing their duty, not a bunch of turds in terrible-looking superhero outfits.



  • Street Fighter - Could Hollywood not find an actress a little more Chinese-looking rather than someone with "exotic" looks who can pass for Caucasian? Oh wait, that's because most of America thinks all Asians look the same and Hollywood would rather have a Caucasian-looking lead! Was Lucy Liu not available to play Hollywood's white-washed version of Chun Li? I can't believe that I'm longing for Jean-Claude Van Damme's Street Fighter film from 1994. At least they had the presence of mind to cast Ming-Na as Chun-Li. (Hint to the Hollywood execs - you could do a casting call in the San Gabriel Valley and have found someone better than Kristin Kreuk).



  • Speed Racer - this was a movie that made me long for ANY one of The Fast and The Furious movies, let alone the greatness of the anime.



  • Dragon Ball - where do I fucking begin with this one? Almost all the main characters are Asian, you fucking Hollywood dumbasses! Anyone who would be interested in seeing a Dragon Ball movie would have been fans of the anime. And the idiotic casting only served to drive the fans away! Did Hollywood really think they could bring in new viewers for this movie? Who's the genius who did the market research and focus groups on this idea? And having Chow Yun-Fat play Master Roshi doesn't quite make up for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say to you the same thing I say to everyone:

If you're over 20 years old and remember these cartoons from the 80's and at your age you actually give a damn about how a movie based on your childhood favourites then you know what? you probably deserve to get raped.

I dont really care how they turned out. I loved Transformers as a kid, loved Street Figher and had GI Joe figures....
but Im a grown ass man, I'll go to the movies to be entertained. Personally I took Transformers and Street Fighter as tougne and cheek lol movies. And Megan Fox and Krisitn Kreuk are easy on the eyes so Im not complaining.

But spare me the "They're raping my childhood" whining. Grow up, move on and dont worry about what Hollywood does. Its a non-issue.

BakedPorkChopGuy said...

You have your opinion and I have mine. If you don't appreciate my 'whining', so be it. I blog what's on my mind.

Heatfan1121 said...

I agree with you one hundred percent! Dragon Ball Evolution is the biggest tragedy though. Oh, and I hear they are making a second movie. *facepalm*