Monday, May 18, 2009

Basic Handgun 2 Class

I had the chance to take the Basic Handgun 2 Class with Greg Block on Sunday afternoon. Per the class description:
This is a great class if you have the basics and want to improve your accuracy and confidence to shoot well in a pressure situation. Emphasis is placed on improving the shooter's ability to make rapid multiple shots on both single and multiple targets at varying distances.
We spent the entire afternoon doing double taps on various targets. We started off on large silhouette targets then gradually moved onto smaller and smaller targets. When we were able to group our shots adequately, we were challenged with multiple 4"x6" targets (numbered 1 through 4) where we first had to identify the correct target (based on what the instructor yelled out), align our sights, then double tap that target.

Honestly, it was quite a challenge. Not only was I using the P99 for the very first time, but I was also using the Big Dot sights mentioned in the previous post. I shot fairly well, but noticed that I was shooting low. "Dotting the I" on the Big Dots can be tricky at first as I was trying to shoot too quickly without having truly "dotted the I." I'll need more practice, but once I get accustomed to targeting with the Big Dot sights, I should be fine.

As for the P99, it performed like a champ. The recoil was slight, the slide was smooth and the AS trigger is unlike any other that I've shot with. I think the P99 is one of the best semi-automatic handguns out there.

Near the end of the class, I was able to get side-by-side double taps - a first for me. The key was to keep my firing hand/arm fairly straight and to lean into my shot; by doing both, I was able to keep the gun steady in my hand and could fire the follow-up shot rapidly and accurately.

I have a few months to practice before I take Greg Block's Intermediate Handgun Class. I can't wait to hit the indoor range and improve my skills with both the P99 and P22.

No comments: