Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Review: SKB Gun Bags

For those of you who don't know, SKB is a company that makes bags and cases to protect items during travel and storage. SKB makes a wide variety of cases - from cases for musical instruments & pro audio equipment, optics, and sporting goods to case for industrial applications such as for the military.

I knew that SKB made pistol storage cases, but it wasn't until I went to Turner's to pickup my Walther P99 that I realized that SKB also made gun bags. I actually bought one from Turner's, but subsequently returned it as I couldn't justify spending $32 on a single gun bag. Luckily, I was able to find the SKB gun bag cheaper on Amazon.com. In fact, I bought two gun bags:The total for both SKB gun bags was only $6 more than what the single bag from Turner's cost. To boot, I also received free shipping from Amazon. Well, the bags came in today, so I thought I'd share some pics.



Here's the 9" bag that's going to hold the P22:



Here's the 12" bag that will hold the P99:



The SKB gun bags are extremely high quality. The gun bag is made of Dry-Tek padding to keep your firearms dry and it is double-layered to protect them from damage if you should drop it. Each gun bag has large zippers and a slide-through system where you can padlock the bag (as required in the state of CA when you are transporting your firearm in a vehicle). In addition, there are two exterior pockets - one on each side of the bag - to hold magazines and other accessories.

Overall, I would say that the bags are well worth the money. Sure, you can get less expensive gun bags; but if you already spent hundreds of dollars on your firearms, why not spend a little bit more to properly store your gear and know that both your firearms and gun bags will last much longer.

No comments: