Friday, April 10, 2009

Filet-O-Fish Fridays at McDonald's

For those of you who are Catholic/Christian/Jewish, I'm sure not being able to eat meat on Fridays during Lent/Passover can be a minor inconvenience. It was probably with this thought in mind that McDonald's started Filet-O-Fish Fridays where the Filet-O-Fish is offered at $1.29 (rather than the $3+ regular price). Without this promo, I'm sure McDonald's would lose about 25% of their Friday sales as one would probably avoid the chain altogether during the weeks leading up to Easter/Passover.



Well, today I had a craving for Filet-O-Fish and made the 4-block walk during lunch to the McDonald's near the office. When I got there, they were quite busy - 2 registers were open and each line was 5 persons deep. Each and every order before me involved a Filet-O-Fish and the workers were churning them out at a rapid pace.

When I finally got to order, the woman was quite surprised to hear me say, "May I have 1 Filet-O-Fish to go please?" She gave me a surprised look and asked, "Only 1 Filet-O-Fish?" I said "Yes" and she quickly gave me my order. Good thing I only ordered 1 as here's the nutritional breakdown:


Fish Filet Patty
120 50 5 0.5 0 25 150 9 0 9
Regular Bun
150 20 2 0 0 0 270 28 1 4
Tartar Sauce
90 80 9 1.5 0 10 110 1 0 0
Cheese
25 15 2 1 0 5 115 1 0 1
Total : 380 170 18 3.5 0 40 640 38 2 15

I had no idea that the bun has more calories than the fish filet patty! Makes you wonder if you can actually order the Filet-O-Fish protein style - that is in a lettuce wrap instead of the bun. I'll have to ask the next time I order one.

Anyways, the Filet-O-Fish tasted fine; but oddly enough, I think it's missing something. There's just something about it that doesn't remind me of how it tasted when I was a kid. I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but it's just a bit off. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Update: As I guessed, Filet-O-Fish Fridays ended after Easter was over. I guess I'm back to ordering the McDouble.

No comments: