Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Top 3: Begging in LA Stories

As some of you may have already guessed, I live in Los Angeles, part of the Republik of Kalifornia. I don't believe that beggars in other parts of the country behave the same way as those here in Los Angeles. Let me share my Top 3 stories with you:

#3 - There was a brief period in my life where I was able to walk to work. On one of these walks one morning, I was approached by a disheveled woman asking for money because her car had broken down. I was running late, so I didn't bother to stop and just said "can't help you" as I walked by. She proceeds to let out a big "jeez", as if I should be ashamed for not helping her.

Less than 5 days later I see this same woman and she was using the same broken down car story on someone else. (Note: she was pretty loud to make sure others nearby could hear her sob story.) So as I walked by, I said "your car is still broken down from last week, huh?" Just complete silence from her. It was priceless!

#2 - While walking to a Starbucks, I pass a guy asking for change. Being in a good mood I told him I'd give him some change once I get my Starbucks. Big mistake as he then proceeded to tell me to get him a latte instead. WTF! Needless to say, my mood changed instantly and he got a 'fuck off' instead. He was in no position to tell me what I should give him.

And drum roll please for my #1 Begging in LA Story:

I'm at a crosswalk waiting for the light to turn green. A guy comes up to me and asks for $0.25. Well, it happens I'm not carrying any change so I told him that "I can't help you as I have no change."

Big mistake as he then says, "I know you have change. You don't want to give me a quarter." It's now 'on' like Donkey Kong as I fire back, "Fuck you. I don't have any change. Even if I did, I wouldn't give you any now."

He continues on, asking me for a quarter and why I won't help him. I was ready to plant my fist into his face when the light changed. I decided to walk away rather than escalate it further. I certainly didn't want to get arrested for assault and battery on a bum over $0.25.

Feel free to share your memorable begging stories in 'comments'. I want to know if the beggars in LA are different from other areas.

No comments: