Monday, February 9, 2009

IM STIG

Top Gear is one of my favorite shows on TV. If you have the BBC channel on your cable or satellite system, you have to give it a shot.

It's a show about fast cars (think Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.) and the damn funny things the 3 hosts - Clarkson, Hamster and Captain Slow - do to keep themselves and the audience entertained. One of my all-time favorite episodes is when they did a race across Japan to see who would be faster to Nokogiri Yama Mountain - Clarkson driving a Nissan GT-R or Hammond & May taking a bullet train (GT-R vs Bullet Train).

The 4th major (and my favorite) character on the show is The Stig. He is a race driver fully decked out in race gear and always wearing a racing helmet. You never see his face, nor does he ever talk on the show. The Stig's primary duty is to race all the fancy high end cars on the Top Gear test track for the best track time of which the show keeps a running tally. He lets his driving do the talking!



Well, this past weekend, my wife and I were on the 110 Freeway South when an old Nissan 240SX passed us. Normally, this would not have been a big deal, except for the fact that the car had the license plate of "IM STIG". I immediately tell my wife and we head off to track down the person brazen enough to have that license plate.

We were able to catch up to the 240SX on the rain-soaked freeway, but the camera on our mobile phone wasn't up to the task of getting a pic of the driver. In fact, I was only able to get a partial pic of the IM STIG license plate.



All I can tell you is that IM STIG is a skinny Asian male working his finely honed driving skills on the roads of Los Angeles.

No comments: