Saturday, May 7, 2011

a-JAYS Four Earphones for My iPhone

The earbuds that came with my iPhone 3GS were on it's last legs. While the wiring still looked okay, the earbuds were quite beat up. They were cracked in multiple places and generally look worn down. I'm actually surprised they lasted as long as they did.

So my search began for a new set. I wanted something with good sound quality, has a microphone I can use it for phone calls, and be less than $100. Most of the earbuds that met my criteria for sound quality and a decent mic at the Apple store were over the price point I wanted to pay.

I didn't want to spend too much as I'm saving up for the new iPhone later this year. And knowing Apple could conceivably make changes to the headphone jack, I didn't want to take the chance that the earbuds I bought wouldn't work with the new iPhone. So I expanded my search and started looking on Amazon and various other forums that I frequent.

Then as luck would have it, I stumbled onto the Jays a-JAYS Four earbuds. They looked decent and had some good reviews online. I found a seller selling a LNIB pair and I jumped on them. They arrived yesterday.



The packaging is quite nice. While the box itself appears to be plastic, it's actually covered in a rubber material. It's a good first impression.

The earbuds and mic had a simple, clean design. There were silicone sleeves in various sizes from XXS to L so that you can fit them for your ear size. Once I found the proper fitting ear sleeves, I tested them out with the iPhone. If you look closely, you'll see that the cables are flat and tangle free.

While I don't have the ability to share a sound clip with you, I can report that the sound quality of the a-JAYS Four is quite good. Compared to the standard Apple earbuds, the a-Jays Four provided enhanced sound with good amount of bass and mid. I can hear notes that I previously couldn't hear on songs that I've listened to for years.

The mic has a remote that can be used to play/pause music, answer/hang up phone calls, skip songs forward or back, and change volume up or down. It's a nifty control that mimics most of the functionality that I used with the Apple earbud remote.

I'm very glad that I got these and would recommend the a-JAYS Four.

No comments: