Sunday, May 15, 2011

Building the Emergency Kit

After seeing the devastation in Japan (from the earthquake, aftershocks and tsunami) and the flooding in Mississippi, it was time for me to put an emergency kit together. While I had been buying items here and there for emergencies, I never did put everything together into a single unit.



So here's what I have in the kit:
  • First aid kit
  • Flashlight and headlamp
  • Extra batteries (CR123's, AA's, AAA's, and CR2's)
  • Radio
  • Moist towelettes
  • Hand cleaner and hand sanitizer
  • Duct tape and electrical tape
  • Matches
  • Emergency whistle
  • Emergency blankets/bag
  • Water purification tablets
  • Swiss Army knife
  • Multi-tool
  • Water bottle
  • Dust masks
  • Ziplock bags
  • Trash bags
  • Zip ties
  • Safety glasses
  • 3 person tent
Not shown in the above picture, but available as part of our emergency supplies:
  • Water
  • Canned food
  • Over the counter medication (such as Tylenol, aspirin, etc.)
  • Tool box
  • Gloves
  • Money
  • Handgun and ammunition
I'll need to add clothing to the kit (at least one complete change of clothes) and copies of important paperwork.

I think that's it. Am I missing anything? Anything else you would suggest adding?

No comments: