Sunday, February 27, 2011

AR-15: The Upper

After purchasing the Noveske "blemished" N4 lower, I waited patiently and perused the Calguns forums looking for uppers. I actually missed out on a few - namely a new, unfired BCM lightweight upper for $100 less than retail. It came nearly complete as it included handguards, charging handle and bolt carrier group (BCG). The only thing it was missing was the rear sight.

I was bummed out that I missed the deal, but I continued looking. Then, a few weeks ago, I spotted a LMT upper that came with Magpul MOE carbine handguards and a LMT charging handle. It didn't include the BCG or rear sight, but the price was too good to pass up...and if I can find deals on the BCG and rear sight, I may end up paying less for this than the BCM upper I missed out on. :-)



In addition, I was thinking about upgrading the handguards to Magpul anyway, so getting them with this purchase turned out to be a bonus. Here is the upper and lower put together:


Of course, without the BCG (which houses the firing pin), my AR-15 won't be going "bang" anytime soon. Just as well, since without a rear sight, I would only be able to use it at very close range. Anything long range would be out of the question since I wouldn't be able to aim the AR-15 safely or properly.

Now it's time to find the BCG and rear sight! My AR-15 is coming along nicely.

No comments: