Tuesday, February 22, 2011

AR-15: The Lower

The first purchase for my AR-15 build was the lower receiver.

I decided to purchase the lower first as this is that part that actually gets registered - meaning after purchase from a gun shop or private party transfer, I have to wait 10-days before being able to pick it up per CA regulations.



When deciding on the lower, I was choosing between a polymer/composite lower or a standard aluminum lower. The polymer lower would be lighter and less expensive than the aluminum lower. However, after researching various uppers and looking at their weights, I was afraid that if I went with a lower that was too light, I'd have an AR-15 that wasn't very balanced. Of course, I could go with a lightweight barrel to make the upper lighter, but I wanted something more standard for my first build. Given all these considerations, I decided to get an aluminum lower and proceeded to watch the Calguns Marketplace like a hawk.

After a few weeks of looking I found a Noveske "blemished" N4 lower from a private seller. It's a factory new lower (meaning that it had never been shot) but had a blemish on it that Noveske didn't want to sell as 1st quality. If you're familiar with clothing companies selling "irregular" clothes, this is much the same.



To be honest, I don't even see a blemish on the lower. I compared it to the non-blemished N4 lower that the seller had and could not tell the difference between the two lowers other than the different serial numbers on each.

The lower also came with the following already installed:
I got this complete lower at really good price. However, it had another cost - I sold my Seagull S6 guitar (which had been sitting idle for the past 5 years) and used the funds from that sale to purchase the lower.



It's just as well. I bought the guitar many years ago with the hopes of finally learning how to play a musical instrument. I took a guitar class at the local community college for a semester but never progressed beyond that. So the guitar just sat, until my wife finally convinced me to let go of it this year.

In essence, I gave up on one hobby for another. Although I hope I never have to use my AR-15, I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

No comments: