Monday, January 25, 2010

Taking a Severance Package...and Leaving!

Well, things came to a head today at work. Mid-year reviews are due and my manager pulled me aside to talk. He told me that I was going to be placed on a 30-day performance improvement plan. This would involve taking me off my current project and being placed on a meaningless project. Basically, I would be marginalized and would be gone after the 30-days were up because what could I truly accomplish within such a limited timeframe. Besides, I wasn't one of the "boys" and nothing I do would be able to get me out of their doghouse.

I said as much to my manager. In turn, he said that he could work with HR on getting me a small package and in return I could leave the company immediately. I readily jumped on that offer and set the wheels in motion.



So today became my last day with the company! I will meet with HR in the morning to discuss the parameters of the package being offered me. If everything goes smoothly, I'll be done and free of the drama for good.

It's weird, but I feel a sense of relief, excitement, anxiousness and hope all at the same time. I'm happy that I no longer have to work at the company and excited to be moving on, but am anxious that I need to look for a new job in an uncertain economy and hope that I can land something quickly (and to my liking).

We'll see how quickly I can land on my feet. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

girlLawyer said...

I had something similar happen to me two years ago. It ended up being the best thing that could have happened to me. It pushed me out of a situation that I was already unhappy at but hadn't had the motivation to push myself to leave. Now I'm at a job that I love so much more!

Best of luck on your new path!