Saturday, January 7, 2012

Review: Savoy Kitchen's Baked Pork Chop Rice

Hey there happy people! Happy New Year! Long time no blog. :-P

Sorry for being away so long. I've just been extremely lazy, but hope to return to blogging on a more consistent basis in 2012. And for my first post of 2012, an actual baked pork chop rice review!

Savoy Kitchen has been in Alhambra, CA for many many years. But before they settled in Alhambra, Savoy was actually in Los Angeles' Chinatown for quite some time. I remember their beef curry being popular and quite tasty.

At their current location, Savoy is known for their Hainan Chicken rice (see the following pic from Yelper Tuan D). However, Savoy offers a different daily special and their Monday special is Baked Pork Chop Rice! I was so excited to find this out that I ventured to Savoy on a Monday holiday to try it out.

Here's what it looks like:



As a reminder, I judge baked pork chop rice on the following criteria:
  • Tomatoeness
  • Flavorful rice
  • Lightly fried pork chops
  • Amount of cheese
  • Overall texture

Savoy Kitchen's Baked Pork Chop Rice:

  • Very strong tomato flavor in the sauce. Quite frankly, it was quite overwhelming.
  • The rice was typical fried rice with some mixed veggies and eggs.
  • There was one large pork chop which was nicely fried. However, the pork chop was a bit tough. I wish it was more tender.
  • Good amount of cheese melted on top, but not much cheese flavor. I'm not sure if that makes sense.
  • Overall texture was quite dry. While there was some sauce on top of the pork chop, there wasn't enough sauce to mix into the rice.

On a scale of 1-5 (with 5 being the highest), I give Savoy Kitchen's Baked Pork Chop Rice a 2.5 rating. Maybe the New Years holiday weekend impacted the baked pork chop rice (such as the head chef being off), so I'm going to give them another shot in the future. For the time being, I'd recommend either the Hainan Chicken Rice or Curry dishes when eating at Savoy.

No comments: