Sunday, March 6, 2011

AR-15: Ammo, Magazines, & Wonder Wrench

I picked up the final pieces of my AR-15 build yesterday and I'm ready to call it done. Consider it a KISS build for my first AR. Here's a pic of what I picked up:



Although the picture only shows two magazines, I actually picked up four. Three of the magazines are C-Products 10-round magazines and one Magpul stubby 10-round magazine. Because I live in CA, I'm limited to 10-rounders rather than the 20- or 30-rounders available elsewhere. Maybe one day, CA will be a Free state and I'll be able to....oh who the fuck am I kidding? That will never happen! I have better odds of wining the lottery than CA becoming a Red state.

Along with the mags, I also picked up a single box of .223 Remington ammunition. I would have picked up more, but since I'm not hitting the range anytime soon I thought I would limit the ammo purchase for the time being. Why tie up funds when I don't have to?

One item that's not pictured above is a tool that I'll be using to drop the magazine from the AR. In CA, you can't have a magazine that is easily removable (or detachable) from the rifle if the rifle also has a pistol grip. If you do, it's considered an unregistered assault rifle and that is illegal here. To work around that, a bullet button was developed so that it creates an attachable-fixed magazine condition which is legal. Basically, a person wouldn't be able to manipulate the magazine with just a finger in order to release the magazine - the use of a tool is required. The tool I chose for this purpose is the Wonder Wrench.


Here is wonder wrench on the bullet button:




Not a bad looking build. I can't wait to hit the range and to take my first carbine class!

PS - There are actually 2 more items I would like to purchase - a discreet rifle bag (so that I don't freak anyone out when I take the AR-15 to the range) and a rifle sling. Anyone have any suggestions on what soft rifle bag or sling I should get? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

No comments: