Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Baked Pork Chop Rice: An Introduction

Hong Kong-style baked pork chop rice is one of my favorite dishes. If you grew up in Hong Kong or in a Chinese community with HK-style cafes, you know what I'm talking about. For the uninitiated, the dish basically consists of:
  • lightly breaded and fried pork chops
  • fried rice or regular rice
  • tomato-based sauce
  • small amount of cheese
The rice (preferably fried rice) is placed in a large oven proof dish with the pork chops placed on top of the rice in a single layer. The tomato sauce is poured evenly over the pork chops with a little bit of cheese sprinkled on top. The dish is then baked in the oven till the sauce/cheese is slightly brown on top. Oh, so yummy!

BakedPorkChopRice


While this dish appears simple and easy-to-make, it isn't. Trust me on that. I've tasted many a baked pork chop rice and very few Hong Kong-style cafes make it well...or even make it OK. For HK-style baked pork chop rice to be delicious, there has to be:
  1. the right amount of tomato in the sauce (which I shall call tomatoeness)
  2. flavorful rice
  3. lightly fried pork chops
  4. the right amount of cheese, and
  5. the overall texture can't be too dry or too wet

This blog is dedicated to my search for the ultimate HK-style baked pork chop rice. I'll document every restaurant I visit (near and far) for the best baked pork chop rice and share my experiences (both good and bad) with you.

Regards,
BakedPorkChopGuy

PS - If you have any recommendations for where I can find good HK-style baked pork chop rice, let me know. I'm always in the mood for baked pork chop rice!

1 comment:

Allison said...

came across your blog while looking for a recipe to make this dish... i'm gonna make it tonight. i hope it'll be a success!